Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Magic after-shave

For the last few weeks, Annie has slept with one of Daddy's shirts. I don't know why she decided to do this. The shirt says, "Dunder and Mifflin." Perfect shirt for a toddler, huh? Tonight, she kept handing me the shirt and saying, "Daddy gone. Daddy gone." Seriously? It's 8:30. Grandma and Papa just left after feeding her an ice cream cone and now we're going to do this kind of drama? I think not! However, she persistently kept handing me the shirt. Finally, she started smelling it. It finally hit me. His smell had worn off. I knew I'd seen some left behind after-shave under the counter so I quickly doused the shirt and gave it back to her. She quickly snuggled up and said, "That's good. I smell Daddy," and went to sleep. I wish it was that easy for all of us. A quick once-over with the after-shave and everything is miraculously better. I'd pay REALLY good money for that kind of after-shave!

After my last day at school until the end of July and Annie's last day with her sitter (she's off to Morocco for the summer to see her family - the sitter, not Annie), I'm ready for a few days of nothingness. The kids did convince me to take them to the pool today which wasn't too bad except for Annie's exceptional loathing of getting her face wet. The other kids at the pool didn't really seem to care that her screams were meant for them! However, there was minimal drama or trauma which means it was a success in my book! I, however, did not make a gym attempt tonight. First, my butt feels like an elephant stepped on it. It literally takes my breath away when I sit down too hard. Can you sprain your butt? Second, I just need a night to crawl under the covers and watch a few episodes of Cosby Show and then fall asleep. Maybe I'll go steal Annie's shirt and cuddle up, too!

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14.27)

OK - As a side note, for those of you who have asked about the ridiculous blanket on Annie's bed, I wish I could offer you a better answer. Grant was given that blanket at a Halloween birthday party last year and Annie refuses to part with it. She has plenty of other toddler-appropriate blankets which are equally soft and fuzzy but she will only sleep with that creepy puke green spider covered blanket. Believe me, I've tried to convince her to give it up. No use! Not a battle worth fighting right now! I've got to deal with potty training and paci fairies in the next few weeks so the blanket can stay!

No comments: