Friday, July 1, 2011

Ball Returns, Proposals, Lost Hot Dogs, and Found Rain Coats

But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength. 2 Timothy 4:17

Today, was day 2 of operation Tire Their Butts Out! It was minimally successful. My original intent was to head out to the Yellow River Game Ranch but when it was 10:00 before we were ready to roll, I put that idea away.

We did end up heading to the bowling alley to meet some friends, though. This was Annie's first bowling attempt. I admit that she was much more amused with the ball return machine than the actual bowling part. Dasha bowled the majority of two games.

 
After bowling, we went home for lunch and naps. It was quickly obvious that Annie hadn't expended enough energy. As I worked to clean up the living room, I head the kitchen cabinets slamming open. Annie's new favorite game is opening every cabinet door. It drives me nuts!

Oh well. I put her down for her nap and then tried working on laundry and getting some school work done. About 20 minutes into nap time, I heard a muffled cry over the monitor. This wasn't the normal whine about nap time. I went to investigate and found that Annie had shut herself in her closet. My first reaction was, "Man! What if I'd just let her keep crying!" Then, I quickly crossed over into the mean mama category and started thinking more along the line of, "Why in the world are you even out of your bed?" Anyway, I put her back to bed and she "slept" for about 45 minutes. That was nothing like the blissful three hour nap from yesterday! So, if I get a choice, I'll choose a trip to the lake over the bowling alley any day - for my own selfish reasons, of course!

After nap time, Annie started asking to go to the park again. Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that I bribed her to stay in her bed by telling her that we'd go to the park after her nap. Oops. I had some things I had to get done, even if it meant another trip to the park.

So, we grabbed some snacks and water bottles and headed out. I didn't want to use another 1/4 tank of gas trekking to Kennesaw and back so I was determined to find a new park closer to home. I knew of Rope Mill park but I didn't think there was any play equipment there. Oh well. It was worth a try.

 Wow! Rope Mill has sure changed over the last few years! I had to have some help even finding the park. You used to be able to head down Rope Mill Road and it just dumped you right into the area. (As a side note, this is where Eric proposed so I was a bit hesitant to even go but things had changed so much that my emotions weren't really stirred up too much). Anyway, the area is heavenly! There were families fishing along the river, bikers on the trails, and others who were picnicking under the trees. I decided to walk one of the trials with the girls. The sign said 2.7 miles. I didn't figure that we'd make it all the way around the loop so we just set off with no real plan.








Surprise of all surprises, we made it around the entire loop! The girls were so pooped! It was great! Poor Annie was really tired though! It was a bit much for her little oompa loompa legs. The scenery was gorgeous, though. I can't wait for Grant to get home, though. If I can figure out a way to get two bikes in the van, we could go and ride there in the evenings (without the girls in tow).

I'm finding that I have so much more appreciation for simple things these days. I'm not really sure why or when the transformation started but something as simple as a long walk in the woods, the idea of camping in a quiet forest, or even simply a home-cooked meal with good conversation are very alluring to me these days. Very strange. I had this realization as I walked with the girls today. Instead of worrying about what kind of wild animal was going to jump out and eat us or that they were getting too tired, I was distracted by the simple beauty of the river flowing around the old stone mill and the sound of the crickets. I think this is something that I'm definitely going to begin working into my story. Simplicity.

When Annie finally caught her breath, she figured out that she'd been hoodwinked, though. She started demanding the slides and swings. Um, oops. Did I mention that this park didn't have those except for the grandma and grandpa kind of two seater swings? OK, plan B. I didn't have a plan B but quickly concocted one.

We headed to the school playground. I knew it was gated so she couldn't escape and I could sit back and watch the girls play without worry that they were going to get knocked down. Shoot. I was worn out from out walk. I just wanted to park my butt in the shade. The girls, however, just wanted to keep going. Well, by all means, go for it!



 Yes, she's really jumping off of the slide! Did I mention that she has no fear?
I finally started to see Annie beginning to rub her sleepy little eyes. YES! This was a good thing! I just wanted one last picture before we left. I've been trying to learn how to use this really nice camera that Eric bought me several years ago and I came across a fun check list online with summer pictures to take and different settings to use. One of the suggestions for a "posed" pictured was stacking the kids on the slide like a totem pole. Let's just say that Annie is NOT a fan of posed pictures. While Dasha sat patiently, Annie kept escaping. I gave up.


So, Annie is finally in bed and asleep. Dasha is watching a movie and waiting on the Tylenol to take effect on her legs. The 2.7 miles (plus bowling and the playground) was a bit too much for her and now her legs are hurting. So, it was another full day that got the goal accomplished - to wear everyone out!

As a side note, as we went between the two parks tonight, I snapped two pictures that coincidentaly ended up being matching pieces. (Divert your eyes if you're under 30. This would probably be rated R).


The hot dog must have rolled away from someone's picnic area only to be devoured by ants. The hot dog's missing rain coat was found at the school playground several miles away! I'm not sure what possessed me to take this photo. Looking back, it just kind of proves my dementia. Gross! Anyway, it is what it is. Two random pictures that ended being long lost mates! I just keep hearing strains from On Top of Spaghetti except in this song, it was the hot dog that rolled away! (I sure hope someone cleans the playground up before the students get back. I'd hate to be the one explaining that)! I think my sense of humor has been severely compromised with the lack of use over the last few weeks! What's wrong with me? (I'm still ashamedly laughing, though).

So, as today ends, I find myself being able to mark today off as another tear free day. I did find myself stuffing a few emotions down as we walked through Rope Mill park, though. Maybe I'll take a walk there by myself one afternoon and let myself mourn the loss of those memories. Maybe not. Maybe those memories of marriage proposals and other firsts will just simply fade away. Either way, the chance of losing control while being alone and away from civilization with both girls wasn't enticing. The other bumpy part of the road today was watching Annie explore the trails and realizing how much Eric would have loved to have hiked with her. She would have been the hiking buddy he's always wanted. Bugs, sweat, and physical work don't intimidate the girl at all! She's ready for any challenge you throw her way! But, as I mentioned, being stranded alone in the middle of the woods just isn't a good venue to go loony in and get emotionally nutty.

Dasha has already asked where we're going tomorrow. Argh! Is there any way to make doing laundry and cleaning out the garage as fun as a day at the park (and still get the job done)? I guess we'll see!

No comments: