Saturday, September 8, 2012

Toenails, Lonliness, and Comfort Zones


This sums up today. Translation of this face, "I heard you tell me that I can't play right now but if I keep getting closer and closer, Grandma will see how sad I am and let me play."

The morning and afternoon were a blur of trying to get laundry done and other chores taken care of that didn't get completed last weekend. Whew. In my attempt to be efficient, I snuck out of the house this morning and went to get a pedicure while the girls were still playing nicely and Grant was still under the effects of a full night of rest and semi-pleasant. Now, please note that pedicures are no longer about pretty paint on my toenails. I have killer ingrown toe nails and after a couple of weeks, I can't even let the sheets touch my poor toes without wincing in pain. So, I've found one miracle worker who, despite the rules, will operate on my toes and remove the nastiness. Yeah, gross. I know. Believe me! However, she refused to do it today and told me that I needed to go to a doctor because she thought they were getting worse. Great. I started to say, "What if I pay you a little extra?" Oh well. That was strike one for my morning. My nails are nicely painted now but they still hurt like heck.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... the kids were all still in one piece. Grant was watching some crazy movie and the girls were upstairs playing Barbies and singing. I decided to steal a few more minutes for myself and do some school work. That was semi-productive. When I sat down at my desk, I started looking around at all of the other things that I needed to reorganize, so I did that instead. Oops. A couple of hours later, the only thing I had to show for my time was a small crate of nicely organized folders.

As the evening grew closer, Grandma called with an invitation to dinner. Even though I'd had stuff in the crock pot all day long, I figured I could stash it in the fridge for tomorrow.

I'm really dragging this out... Bottom line, we ate at mom's for dinner. When we got back home, the weather had turned into a perfect fall evening. The girls played outside (no signs of sneaky snake) and I drug my laptop out under the awning, turned the lights on, and watched a movie. What a luxury. What did I watch? If you must know, I watched an episode of Dog the Bounty Hunter. Don't judge me. I can watch an entire episode in under 20 minutes with little vulgarity, little nudity (despite some watermelon-type cleavage from Beth), and see some "cops and robbers" action.

I bathed and bedded the girls. Gave Grant his orders for the evening. Now, I'm cuddled up in bed with my windows open enjoying the fall breeze and smell of someone burning something akin to a campfire. (I'm praying that something that belongs to me isn't what I smell burning). Honestly, I've got a pretty major dose of loneliness tonight. But, this isn't the first time and I'm sure that it won't be the last.

Clothes are all laid out and ironed for the inmates so we can try out Sunday school at the 8:00 hour tomorrow. Grant is majorly unhappy with my decision but I'm just going to have to let him trip over his lower lip. I need a new Sunday school class. Need is the main word there. There are very few times these days that I sacrifice my kids' wants for my needs. Tomorrow, I will execute that privilege, though. In the words of my mama, "You can get glad the same way you got sad!" Heck, I'm not really thrilled with the idea of adding another early morning to the line up but I need a small group to lean into right now so... I'm having to force myself from my comfort zone which is scary for me. I do not like new situations - especially when I don't know what to expect. Once again, rambling.

Anyway, I'm done for the night. Book, fall breeze, cozy quilt, and a thankfulness that I have a roof over my head, a solid foundation under my feet, and healthy children. (I'm not that thankful for the cat who is about to fall out of the window because she keeps chasing ladybugs and head butting the screen full force. She's about to snuff out her last life with a fall from a 2nd story window onto the patio slab below).

Goodnight, all.

Oh, and I can't begin to even guess how the blog is showing up at this point tonight. Google and I did a small battle with CSS codes (don't I sound intelligent?), and ultimately, Google won. I'll continue the battle later after I've Googled how to deal with Google products such as Blogger! I'd like to give them a few things to Google...

No comments: