Thursday, September 6, 2012

Inadequate - adj. not sufficient, not capable


4:00 a.m. - blood sugar drops, make PB&J (drop the J on the tile floor and have to clean up the J and glass mess)

5:10 a.m. - drift back to sleep

5:15 a.m. - alarm goes off

5:45 a.m. - wake cranky children

6:20 a.m. - put cranky children in car to deliver to their destinations

6:30 a.m. - forgot that Annie needed to be dropped at mom's due to early release at preschool, back track to deposit Thing 3

7:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. - semi-productive

11:15 a.m. - sub looking like a cross between Nanny McPhee and Terminator arrives to take over students, I thought about skipping the training and staying behind to protect my kids

11:45 a.m. - spent too much time trying to make sure the sub could at least get the kids to lunch and home safely and missed my own lunch

Noon - managed to get off campus and to the meeting spot (still no lunch)

2:30 p.m. - leave meeting and head back to see if my students survived

2:40 p.m. - resume duties and students

3:00 p.m. - leave school and run to Wendy's to grab a piece of grilled chicken (The worker argued with me that she couldn't sell me just the chicken. I told her I'd pay full price for the sandwich but I only wanted the chicken. She still argued. I finally told her to give me the darn sandwich. I deconstructed it myself and tossed the bread, scraped off the mayo and tomato guts, and ate JUST the chicken).

3:15 p.m. - car line to pick up the big kids (Annie was still with mom).

3:45 p.m. - leave car line and go pick Annie up

4:00 p.m. - find Annie playing with a NEW Barbie in the kitchen sink (New Barbie just happened to be the same one that Santa just stashed away for Christmas. Argh).

4:30 p.m. - back home, fix dinner, start homework, check mail, put a load of laundry in

5:30 p.m. - homework drama from Thing 1 and Thing 2. Thing 1 had a reading project and suddenly needed a shoe box to turn into a suitcase. Thing 2 didn't have her agenda filled out and decided to fill it out with what she "thought" her homework should be.

6:30 p.m. - hand kids off to Martha again (Thing 1 and Thing 2 still doing homework. Thing 3 was playing with her new Barbie).

7:00 p.m. - preschool curriculum night. What? Other kids can write all of their letters? What? Other kids can write their names? Seriously? She's 3! Could she just learn to share and not wipe her boogers on other kids?

7:45 p.m. - sneak out of preschool to go to middle school curriculum time. There's really not that much difference in preschoolers and middle schoolers, is there? Maybe I should have skipped both "informational" sessions and gone to Starbucks.

9:15 p.m. - get home to find that no one is bathed, pajama'd, or bedded down for the night. Thing 2 is still working on homework at the table. Thing 1 still has a social studies project to do. Thing 3... well, if you keep that Gremelin up past a certain hour... all bets are off!

10:00 p.m. - everyone screw the homework, get showers and baths and go to bed!

10:30 p.m. - finish load of laundry, lay out clothes for the inmates for tomorrow including hats and dollar bills for hat day tomorrow

10:45 p.m. - check emails and get distracted by venting my feelings of inadequacy here. I simply don't have anything else to give. I sat through a preschool meeting where parents were super excited about coming into the classroom to help and planning play dates and parties. I can't do that. Heck, I can't even take a day off if I'm sick. According to this year's rules, I can only take two days off with sub coverage - who cares if I'm puking or one of my kids is puking. So, there's no way I can take time off to go to Farm Day and have a family picnic or attend the Thanksgiving Feast. Yeah, my mom can fill in but it's simply not fair. Blah. I feel like I'm simply not effective right now with anything I do. Inadequate. Not sufficient. Not capable. They all deserve so much more than I can give.

Yes, it should be Thankful Thursday and there are definitely things that I'm thankful for but there are so many moments when I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I'm ready to drop my life out of neutral, throw it into first gear, and floor it. But, where am I going? For tonight, I'm going to iron my clothes for tomorrow (Grandparent's Day), pack my lunch, and go to bed.

Good night, all.

No comments: