Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Getting Dehydrated Peeing Out a Forest Fire

While I am trying in earnest to process my thoughts and feelings and be still and quiet, Annie knows nothing of that sort of activity. On Tuesday, due to a scheduling snafu, I had to pick her up from the sitter's house and detain her in my classroom for a couple of hours. Ha! She pulled all of the kids' stools from under the table and computers and used them to create her own drum set. Her drumsticks? She used markers which she swiped from some poor unsuspecting student's desk!

While this post doesn't really give a window to my soul right now, know that things are bumpy around here right now and it really doesn't have too much to do with this weekend's visit. The older kids have decided to jump off of their own cliffs and unbeknownst to me, they each had one of my legs tied to their bungee cord. In the last 48 hours, Dasha has eaten a pencil, a stick, and some undisclosed item off of the van floor. Grant, on the other hand, has had rolled from one tantrum to another. I can't band-aid their issues quick enough to squelch the leaks and I sure haven't had time to process the marbles rolling around in my head.

Please know that we're all still intact, though, and just trying to muddle through this mess. I haven't given up and I haven't stopped blogging. I do keep a private blog that's become more like a 24 hour holding tank for my really nasty thoughts (yeah, believe it, it can get worse than this) and I've done quite a bit of blogging there - not because I'm full of rage or even forlorn. Waiting is the best word I can put on my life right now. I'm just trying to be still and not act in a rash manner or in any manner that wouldn't uphold my own integrity or pave a solid path for the kids to follow. It sounds so easy when I type it out. But, when you dump the real life participants onto the page and try to make them run the path, it's not so pretty.

Anyway, I do appreciate all of the emails and calls (and my mom was a bit panicked when she started getting the calls, too)! :) I just need some time to sort through everything - especially with Dasha. (She did get a waiver to ride the SPED bus from my school to the middle school. Whew. However, someone made fun of her and she was clueless what was "funny" about the "short bus)."

Once again, thanks for checking in. I'll post more of my guts when I've had a bit of time to let the dust settle and when I don't have two kids still up (10:45) doing homework. Why do teachers think giving busy work for homework assignments is a good idea? Copying 20+ definition from a glossary? Writing a book report on a book that you failed a test on? Duh! She didn't read the book so how the heck are we supposed to do a book report on it in one night? Do these folks have kids of their own or are they simply raising goats or other livestock?

In the words of an unexpected friend, I feel like I'm trying to "pee a forest fire out!" (And, I'm feeling a bit dehydrated! Waiter)?

Good night, all!