Thursday, September 15, 2011

69, Watching the Oars Float Downstream, and Evidence of Change

More rambling thoughts from today...
  • "Mom, what is so funny about the number 69?" As I pulled up to the traffic light, I pounded out an SOS text to Eric to make sure he answered that one for Grant.
  • Echocardiograms must lead to at least 50 cases of broken ribs every year. I understand the importance but, dang, I feel like I took a beating.
  • Dasha has learned the art of making me feel like I'm stupid. Remember the book report drama from last week? Yeah. We're back in the same boat watching the oars float downstream. She has a test over a book tomorrow. I'd been asking her all week what "test" meant where it was written in her agenda. She was supposed to finish a chapter book to take a test on tomorrow. Has she finished? Nope. However, a small miracle must have just occured upstairs because she just alerted me to the fact that she'd finished a 200 page book in under 40 minutes. Hmmmm.... So, she's going to fail the test tomorrow and get assigned another book report. I keep waiting for some little evil character to pop out of the file cabinet singing, "Second verse, same as the first! I'm Henry the Eighth I am...." I've also felt a bit like Bill Murray waking up hearing "I've Got You Babe" in Groundhog Day. Crap.
  • Then, Grant has a writing assignment due tomorrow. He's played the Eddie Haskel role all week when I've asked him about the assignment. He made it sound like he had it nailed. Then, he suddenly had a rubric which needed to be signed to be turned in with this award winning paper. I read it. It reminded me of the Aldi toilet paper. Grant is a very capable writer and I wasn't hoping for some prize winning piece. I was just looking for a coherent story with a plot I could follow and sentences I could read. I got neither. So, I told him that I'd sign the stupid rubric (I can't remember the exact words I used but I don't think they were PG) but I'd be emailing his teacher to let her know that I didn't approve of his writing but that I simply saw it. Now, he's stomping in his room. I keep waiting for chunks of the ceiling plaster to chip off on my head. Basically, he has a few more minutes to get his act together or he won't go camping this weekend. If you want the honest truth, here's how my speech to him would have sounded if I was completely truthful. "Grant, because I won't allow you to turn in crap, I'm holding you accountable for turning in reasonable work. If you don't do that, you can't go camping which means that I'm punishing myself, too!" Anyway, I'm SO done with homework.
  • Oh, here's the funniest (scariest) thing of the entire day. Dasha was still coughing last night and this morning. So, I gave her cough medicine at 6:30 a.m. At 8:00, she went to see the nurse (knowing darn well that I'd already given her meds) who also gave her cough medicine. At 9:00, her reading teacher sends me an email telling me that Dasha seems to be sort of spacey and "out of it." Ya think? Duh! They are lucky she was still sitting up right! I'm pretty pissed about the whole situation but I know the nurse thought she was acting on Dasha's behalf and she doesn't know that Dasha would stand there and let her over dose her. Tomorrow morning, I do believe that I'll be passing out shot glasses filled with Nyquil to this entire house! Maybe it will make me numb to the drive to school and keep the kids quiet. (For those of you with DFACS on speed dial, I'm just kidding. I'd never give Annie a whole shot glass of Nyquil)!
  • But, on this life journey I'm on which is filled with pot holes, booby traps (I get the church giggles every time I say that), and other monsters that pop of seeming nothingness, I'm holding it together. Despite a tense doctor's appointment and the homework drama, I made it through without completely losing control. I can definitely look back over the last six months and see the strength I've gained. A friend mentioned to me the other day how much I've changed. I guess I can't really "see" it since I'm right smack in the middle of the crap every day but when I steal a moment to get quiet and still, I can see the evidence of those changes and they aren't all bad. 
"What if trials of this life are your mercies in disguise?"
~Laura Story

I just wish someone had told me about the masqurade so I could have been better prepared!

Good night, all!