Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Door Damage, Goose Honking, and Guarded Thoughts

I'm heading to bed. It's been a long day. School went smoothly today and I finally felt like we had the routine up to a normal speed. The last week has drug on with all of the fluff of first week of school activities. I'm finally able to put the real meat on the table and get busy. That makes me happy.

As for the other occupants of this house, they are all going to bed in varying conditions tonight. Annie took an early nap at the sitter's house today and was a nightmare until the hour when I could justify sending her to bed. Then, she started screaming and I ran upstairs to see what the problem was and swung the door open only to knock her to the floor with the door. I never dreamed that she'd be standing right on the other side of the door. There wasn't any permanaent damage done and rocking and reading a bazillion more books seemed to undo any damage that had been done.

Grant woke up this morning with a sore throat. So, tonight, he was sentenced to a hot shower and an early bed time. I wish someone would saddle me with that proclamation! Whew. However, he was in better spirits about school. He has sort of a block schedule where he alternates band and gym. Today was a band day so he was thrilled. I'm amazed at his natural talent when it comes to music. In less than a week, he learned to read all of the notes in the treble and bass clefs and can identify and count the different notes. Yes, I know he'd had some instruction before but he is so motivated to do this of his own accord. It's not because I'm forcing him to do it. Wow. Tomorrow night, we have to go "purchase" his instrument. I don't think I'm ready for that home practicing to begin. He pulled out my old trumpet last week and was "practicing" with it. The whole house was rattling with goose honks! I sure hope he becomes competent quickly so those goose honks will actually sound something like music. (He's chosen to play the French Horn which is what I played in high school so maybe I can help him along a bit or find some extra foam to soundproof his room with). So, I'm slowly learning that his vision for what kind of day he's going to have is largely based on what specialty class he has that day. I'm not thrilled to think that he'll have gym 3 days next week and band only 2 days!

And then, there's Dasha. I'm going to limit myself on what I say here because I'm still emotionally fired up at her this evening. All I can say is that the sweet little girl that came into our home five years ago has temporarily stepped out of the building! In the last week, there's been lying, spitefulness, stealing, and laziness. She doesn't see the importance of school since it's not "fun" any more and isn't making any attempt to figure things out. I'm at a loss with her. I'm not in the building with her anymore and I can't just walk around to her teachers and ask for clarification on assignments that she's "forgotten." Anyway, like I said, I'm not going to publish too many of my emotions tonight surrounding her actions other than it's not fair that she's dominating the little bit of time I have at night with the kids with her own selfish hysterics. Grant ended up on Annie duty tonight for quite a while so I could unravel the lies and deceit of the papers she'd hidden in her binder and the homework that she hadn't done but had erased from her agenda so I wouldn't know about it. Ugh.

As for me, I'm going to fall into bed with a book and feel like I'm finally beginning to keep my head above water at school - even it's just mere millimeters above - and know that I truly did the best I could with everyone and everything tonight. I do feel guilty that Grant took the brunt of Annie's sleep-deprived wrath but I'm prayerful that God will use this time in his life to make him into a better man one day. He's going to make someone a great husband who will come equipped with the knowledge of changing diapers, doing dishes, cooking, doing laundry, handling a two-year-old's melt downs, bathing squirmy toddlers, and even reading every book off of a bookshelf to lull a fussy baby to sleep - all without a complaint (at least not to my face)! :)

Good night, all!

No comments: