Thursday, August 11, 2011

Date Night and Tooters

What a long day! I'm finally getting into the routine of things at school and I think the kids are too. Grant seems to be leaving the flair for the dramatic woe is me stuff behind which is such a relief. Dasha, on the other hand, is still struggling. She's having a hard time navigating the building physically and emotionally / socially, she's just a mess. The words from the first therapy session keep coming back to me. "Things will get worse in middle school." That was an understatement and I just didn't know it! Whew! But, we made it through another day! After taking 3 1/2 hours last night to do 5 homework problems, I was unsure of what I'd do if we had to do another marathon like that! (I emailed her teacher only to find out that she was supposed to do the first couple of problems)!

Tonight, Grant had to be back at school to pick up his new instrument. After all of the paperwork I signed, I really expected to be handed a set of keys to a car or a house! Instead, we were handed a french horn. To Grant, that was equally exciting. He loves his music class and is so excited to finally have his instrument.

After we picked up the tooter (I believe that's what I'll call the horn until he masters how to play it), Grant and I had our own little mini date night. We went out to eat at a real restaurant (thanks to blessings from a friend) and just leisurely chatted. Um, well. Chatting usually requires two people to talk. I don't think I got to say more than about five words throughout dinner. Grant ordered for both of us and then continued to converse with me throughout the meal. It was neat to hear how grown up he suddenly sounds.

As for me, It's after 9:00 and I just put the girls down and still haven't graded a single paper yet. Not good! I'm heading to the quiet of the dining room table to finish up for the night and head to bed. It's a good thing tomorrow is Friday becuase dragging these kids out of bed at 5:45 is getting harder and harder each morning. I literally drug Annie from her bed this morning! She was not amused at ALL!

As for my own roller coaster ride, I'm currently perched at the top of a hill and just waiting to see which way I'm going to go. I'm looking forward to having time this weekend to hang out with an old friend who is always so wise and grounded and just talk things through to figure out a plan to get off of this dang coaster! Dramamine just isn't doing the trick any more and I'm tired of being motion sick! (Insert barf bag)

Good night, all.

No comments: