Monday, February 20, 2012

Song of Solomon lessons for Dasha - NOT and Cow Brains for Dinner


So, the blogging has been moved to the back burner (obviously) for a host of reasons. School work has become overwhelming and reproduces at the speed of little bunnies. The kids have all made a pact to take turns seeing who can pop the most gray hairs out of my head. And, I've just sort of been in protective mode for the last several weeks. I've spent a lot of time thinking through who I am as this new journey begins and what I'd like the journey to look like. Now, I've made enough plans to know that I need to check my flight plan with the Control Tower and get clearance to take off and land but I'm also way too familiar with having my flight rerouted through foreign (and enemy) territory! The process has been frustrating, painful, and even gut wrenching at times. I make it sound as if I simply wrote everything down and said to the kids, "Load up! We're heading on an adventure." No. This new journey is definitely going to take some tweaking along with the way but I feel like I've at least got my bearings about who I am now, what I stand for, and where I'm going. Some of those things didn't change but a lot of them did. When you're with someone for close to 20 years, your dreams sort of mesh together and it's nearly impossible to separate them. (Think about trying to separate Kool Aide powder from water). So, many of those dreams and goals have to be rewritten within the new template. OK. Maybe this is all strange and unintelligible for some. However, if you've ever walked this journey, you can relate.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

This kids have done their normal things and taken turns seeing who could make mom dial 9-1-1 first. There hasn't been too much major drama beyond getting an email from Dasha's teacher informing me that Dasha seemed to have a new beau. The teacher said that Dasha gave the boy her phone number and then hugged him. OK. I'll admit. The first three thoughts that ran through my head were 1) she doesn't know her phone number, 2) do they make cages big enough for 14 year olds, and 3) I looked down at the floor to see the hood that I'd zipped off of Dasha's vest before she left for school that morning and suddenly had the realization that I could have her wear the hood backwards and avoid any more interactions with the wild boy species! So, before the week is out, I have to figure out how to have a portion of "the talk" with her. I'm just not sure where to start or stop. I think I'll start at the beginning (Genesis 1:1) and then stop when her eyes start bugging out or before getting to Song of Solomon for sure! Beyond that little bomb, things have progressed in a semi-normal fashion.






Grant has convinced her that everything tastes like cow brains!!!! She asks for cow brains for a snack. The next time I see cow tongue or something that only a tribe in Africa would eat in the meat section, I'm going to buy it and make Grant eat it!
See? Nothing abnormal there.

As I'm beginning this new journey, I've realized that less than a mile down the road, the flight plan I'd filed is already being modified, though. I've said it over and over. I absolutely know that God has quite a sense of humor. Slowly but surely, I'm learning to let go and relax enough to see the humor and adjust my route. I feel like my poor old GPS screaming, "Creating a new route! Creating a new route!," when I miss a turn! I'm simply taking comfort in Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Things that I never thought possible just might be.

Good night, all.

No comments: