Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thankful Thursday


Many of the blogs that I follow host Thankful Thursdays. Each Thursday, the author writes about the little things they are thankful for from the previous week. I'd been meaning to do this for months but never got around to it. However, today, it's such a coincidence that it's Thursday and I've found a bunch of little things that I was thankful but never even realized it. So, here's my own version of Thankful Thursday...

1) Hearing Annie yell, "No brudder. Don't do that!" The girl doesn't back down from a good fight! I'm not always sure how to parent this and where to draw the boundaries but it makes for some pretty darn good entertainment!

2) Listening to Annie and Dasha play "kitchen" over the baby monitor. They sound like two little old ladies bearing their souls while whipping up some delectable home-cooked meal.

3) Watching Grant turn into a young man right before my eyes! He never ceases to amaze me with his abilities to accurately sense someone's feelings and intervene on their behalf. Tonight, he decided on dinner, cooked it, and served his sisters while I dealt with a half dozen other crazy things. Grant has such a tender heart but is so willing to let God use him even if it means risking getting his feelings hurt.

4) Having a stockpile of toilet paper, canned goods, light bulbs, paper products, and trash bags without ever thinking about it. I didn't realize what a blessing this was until today when there weren't any more green beans in the cabinet.

5) Knowing the front door is locked. Seriously? I've never had to put much thought into this because I've never been responsible for it. Last night, the wind from the storm blew the front door open and scare the crud out of me. Hmmm.... I guess I forgot to lock it! You can bet it's locked tonight, though!

6) Working with a team of ladies who always have my back. I don't think I've ever really thanked them for that. But, without any questions, all of them come to the rescue and do whatever is needed (tying children up, making copies, covering bathroom / sanity breaks, etc.). I can't imagine having to go to work with folks you didn't like.

7) Having a Mr. Fixit on hand. Nothing ever implodes or explodes until there's no one around to fix it. (Just FYI, if you move the washing machine, make sure the hoses go with the machine or you'll end up with a mess)! I didn't realize what a big deal this was, either, and really never said, "Thanks."

8) Having a baby sitter that Annie runs to every morning. I'd never used child care beyond my parents until last November. Today, when I showed up to get Annie, I could see through the door window. Fatima and Annie were dancing around like little pixies. I'd venture to say that there aren't too many sitters who'd play like that with a toddler.

9) Feelings. Although I'm on a roller coaster right now, my feelings are a great indicator of what's going on in my heart. I guess, to be more specific, I'm thankful for the Holy Spirit's convictions in my heart. Those convictions aren't always easy to deal with and many times my brain wants to doubt but those feelings are undeniable.

10) This one, I'm leaving blank for now for an unanswered prayer. But, I now have a record right here in this blog that I'll be able to look back at and, hopefully, be thankful about however that prayer is answered. (I keep hearing the lyrics for a Garth song - Unanswered Prayers). :)

OK. That wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. However, it's funny how the smallest things make us suddenly realize how thankful we are. My big "A-ha" moment about being thankful came tonight when I realized that the back of the toilet was devoid of the extra roll that is normally stashed there. Eric was a TP fanatic so he always kept a few rolls "on deck." I'd never said, "Thanks," or even realized how grateful I was for that toilet paper!

So, if this is Thankful Thursday, I sure hope tomorrow isn't Freaky Friday! There's one more day of CRCT testing to struggle through and I just hope we make it. I can promise that I don't need any freakiness during testing! At one point this morning, I looked up and about swore that I was in some sort of mental facility! One kid had his hoodie up over his head pulling the zipper up and down repeatedly. Another kid was drumming on his desk with pencils. One child used a Kleenex to contruct a very elaborate jelly fish using his pencil (I admit that I was impressed). And, I never realized that there are about 500 yoga poses that you can do while "seated" in a small plastic student chair! I did giggle out loud when the combination of the boredom driven activities overwhelmed me! But, once again, I could add this as number 11 to my list - my students. I have an awesome bunch of kids this year who all work together as a team (most times) and are accepting of everyone. I love it that they are familiar enough with me to tell me hilarious stories and jokes and keep me entertained but understand when it's time to settle in and work hard! Man!

See, I have so much to be thankful for! (This is a much different outlook than I had last night). Thanks to an old friend that I literally ran into today in WalMart who opened my eyes and my heart to receive the many blessing that I do have in my life!

This song makes me keep it all in perspective and see just how blessed I really am - even when the roller coaster seems to be doing the same loop for the 6th time and I feel like I'm about the lose my lunch!

Arms that Hold the Universe / 33 Miles and Fee
I know it seems like this could be
The darkest day you've known
But believe you me
The God of strength will never let you go
He will overcome, I know

And the arms that hold the universe
Are holding you tonight
You can rest inside
It's gonna be alright

And the voice that calmed the raging sea
Is calling you His child
So be still and know He's in control
He will never let you go

Through many dangers, toils and snares
You have already come
His grace has brought you safe this far
His grace will lead you home

And the arms that hold the universe
Are holding you tonight
You can rest inside
It's gonna be alright

And the voice that calmed the raging sea
Is calling you His child
So be still and know He's in control
He will never let you go

You can hope, you can rise, you can stand
He's still got the whole world in His hands
You can hope, you can rise, you can stand
He's still got the whole world
The whole world in His hands

And the arms that hold the universe
Are holding you tonight
You can rest inside
It's gonna be alright

And the voice that calmed the raging sea
Is calling you His child
So be still and know He's in control
He will never let you go
He will never let you go

He's still got the whole world in His hands
Still got the whole world in His hands

No comments: