Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday and other random thoughts...



In my effort to remind the kids about the importance of Good Friday, I tried reading a book about the "Easter Story" to Annie. She continued to bounce around and insist that the picture of Jesus in the book was actually "Ho-Ho" (her version of Santa). After several attempts to get through at least looking at the pictures, I gave up. Then, life kept happening and I never got around to going through the relevance of the day with Grant and Dasha. I've felt defeated about it ever since they dropped into their beds hours ago. However, for some strange reason, my mind drew a parallel between how frustrated God must have felt with His children when they wouldn't listen and acknowledge Him. Despite His frustration, He still provided the ultimate gift to those children. What would life be like today if He'd just given up as I did with Annie? I can imagine that civilization sure wouldn't be like we know it today. It's so easy to think about the Easter Story as it's portrayed in children's story books and in cartoons. But this was real stuff that still impacts us today. I can not begin to imagine giving my only son, Grant, in order for a bunch of ungrateful people to have life ever-lasting. I just can't fathom that sort of emotion. However, when that sacrifice was made, it was made directly for me. Those thousands of years ago, God knew exactly where I'd be today and the struggles I'd be engaged in. He knew how many hairs would be on my head (and how many were now missing or gray). He paid that kind of price for me.

So, while the stores are filled with cute little rabbits, eggs, and baskets this season, I want to remember what this weekend really means. And, doggone it, I want my children to remember, as well!

So, the book is laying on the table. I will read the book to every child in this house tomorrow and we will engage in a conversation about it that does not include the words Ho-Ho or Santa. If you call and I don't answer, assume I'm reading the book and have taken captives!

On an entirely different note, after yesterday's post about Thankful Thursday, I've found that Friday has also brought so many reasons to be thankful for! In the last 24 hours, I've had four friends (two which I haven't seen in years) meet needs in my life before I even knew they existed! These are the kinds of friends you'd call from jail who would gladly bail you out without even asking what you'd done. (In my case, they could probably make some pretty good assumptions, though). My heart has been overwhelmed all day long with gratitude and thankfulness. There have been so many other petitions met today, as well, that I hope I'll have the opportunity to share one day. It's been a good day full of thankfulness for the faithfulness of friends, the ability to recognize the sacrificial gift that was given on my behalf thousands of years ago, and the ability to be completely at peace with prayers that have been answered with a "wait patiently." (If you know me, patience is not my strong suit and waiting isn't very far up my list of accomplishments, either)!

In closing, I hope everyone can take time this weekend to walk with their children through history and look at the resurrection story and help them see how relevant those events are to our lives today. For those with older kids, introduce them to the historical ideas of death by hanging and the physical impact on the body. Teach them about how they performed burials in rocky hillsides. Show them the reality of the "story." We get so used to the squeaky clean version of the story complete with singing vegetables or characters that burst into song that we forget to teach the reality and show how the "stories" from the Bible align with ancient civilizations. Give a child this kind of foundation and it makes it much easier for them to believe. (We love the Story of the World series by Susan Wise Bauer).

OK, I'll get off of my soapbox for the night. I hope everyone has a great weekend and finds time to put the eggs aside and put the bunny back in it's cage to remember what we're really celebrating.

No comments: